296 Fertilizer - Executive Summary
1. The owners, management and employees of Champaign Landmark, Inc., are committed to the prevention of any accidental release of anhydrous ammonia. If an accidental release should occur, the facility will work with local fire departments, or any other authorities to mitigate any release and minimize the impact of the release on the public and the environment. |
2. The 296 facility is located on the outskirts of Urbana on the corner of State Route 296 and Jackson Hill Road. The ammonia at this facility is received by truck only and used for agriculture fertilizer. The facility has a 24,000 gal tank that would have 106,080 lbs of product at its fullest.
3. The worst case scenario would be to loose the total contents of the tank (106,080 lbs). It would reach its endpoint of 200ppm at 2.12 miles in 10 minutes. The alternative scenario would be a 2" hose rupture that would reach its endpoint at .68 miles in 2 minutes, releasing 11,908 lbs of ammonia.
4. The 296 facility has imple
mented the OSHA standard 29 CFR 1910.1 for the storage and handling of anhydrous ammonia. ODA and other regulations are followed.
5. The 296 facility has not had a reportable accident in the last 5 years.
6. Our Emergency Response Program has been recently reviewed and gone over with all personnel.
7. Our company policy is to remain proactive in the areas of safety and accident prevention. With the ODA - Workers Comp and our own audits we feel that the chances for accidental releases are minimal. We are making no specific anhydrous ammonia safety changes at this time.